Monday, May 21, 2007

Car Trouble With a Twist...

Doune Castle from Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Mom and waterfall in Argyll Forest
A bridge in the Argyll Forest
The hotel that we stayed at after the incident
Dan in the Argyll Forest
Waterfall picture near Puck's Glen
Hello everyone! Well, we are in Ballachulish just past Glen Coe. We were driving up the main road to Fort William when all of a sudden a car came into our lane! Ahh! We were forced to hug the curb which runs the length of the carriageway (highway). We heard a hissing noise and realized the tire had blown. God was definitely with us, as there was a gas station about 25 yards from where the incident occured. We placed the spare on and drove to the nearest hotel. The hotel that we found was like a castle and the staff at the hotel treated us with the ultimate hospitality. We were able to use the phone and they decreased the room rate by more than 50%! The room is incredible! We ate dinner at the restaurant within the hotel called the Bulas Bar and Bistro. The dinner was great and I had a Velvet beer and Mom had a glass of Pinot to relax from such a stressful event. After dinner we enjoyed a wonderful Scottish bagpiper and dancers in the main reception room. The bagpiper was very funny and had told several jokes that had us laughing so hard. I do think that we were the only Americans in the room as the rest were from Germany. After the show, Mom had her picture taken with the bagpipes and a Scottish hat on! We did make it to Puck's Glen, which was deep within the Argyll Forest. I was going to upload some new pictures, but the Wi-Fi signal is too low here, so the pictures cannot be uploaded to the website. When I do come into contact with a stronger Wi-Fi connection, I will put the pictures from today up. I do not know where we are getting this internet connection from, as the staff said there was no internet here. I guess this is truly our lucky night. The car rental company will be coming in the morning to place two new tires on the car, free of charge! Will write again tomorrow and let you all know that we arrived in Isle of Skye safely. Miss you all!

-Dan and Andrea

P.S. Yesterday, we I forgot to mention that we went to Doune Castle, which is where they filmed Monty Python and the Holy Grail for all you Monty Python fans!!! I stood where the French guard said, "I fart in your general direction!" The picture of the castle above is Doune Castle.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's a velvet beer? Sounds fuzzy.
That's a most excellent story! I had a similar thing happen once outside of Cameron...but I didn't blow a tire, it was the alternator, and I didn't end up in a cool hotel, but in a trading post restaurant. Hmm...maybe it wasn't THAT similar. But my car died in a 'God must have been there' kind of place and my mom was with me. :)
I've heard that Isle of Skye is one of the most beautiful places there - I can't wait to see the pics!
Talk to you later ~
Tanya

Dr. Bill said...

OK honky,
I have been away from the computer for a couple of days and this is what happens. You probably just pulled over and stuck a knife in the tire so the Scottish people would just feel sorry for you (helpless American). Well it worked and you stayed in a castle. I will have to try it next time I am there. ? Probably no time real soon but hey. Did you see any cows come over the castle wall????? By the way, what is a Haggis? It must be the knife you used for the tire. Make sure you respond to these questions, otherwise I will send the Irish mafia after you.
Dr. Bill and staff

Anonymous said...

Hi there! just got this link, looks like you had an amazing time already , great pics! Good luck with the car and ill defenitely read your posts from now on!

Anonymous said...

Kristin says...

Oh no! Speaking of tire blowouts, you and mom BOTH REALLY need new tires so the same thing don't happen when you're home...

Be careful driving! I miss you guys and I'm glad you are both ok! Can't wait to see all the other pics. I bet they're great! Go steal someone's unsecured wireless! hahahah.

PS Dan I told grandma what that French guard said and she about clobbered me! LOL

Love,
Kristin

Brownie said...

Ok, so a velvet beer is the name of the brand, it is an ale and is VERY good. I have had only 3 beers since I have been here. The prices are doubled here because the American dollar is worth so little. And no, I did not deflate the tire with a knife. However, you may be on to something Bill. Maybe the next town we end up in that has nice hotels, I will stab the tire and we might get a free stay out of the whole ordeal. Haggis is not a knife, it is a food and it is actually quite gross (what the ingredients are). Look it up 'Haggis ingredients' on Google. No, there were no cows coming over the castle wall, but I did see the trojan bunny launch over the wall. I tried sneaking into the castle so I wouldn't have to pay admission. So I made this trojan bunny and left it at the front gate, but then forgot to get inside, so it defeated the whole purpose. Ok, I have answered the majority of your questions, so please do not send the Irish mafia over here after me. If you do, I have William Wallace on my side, so beware!

Anonymous said...

Youre right velvet beer is pretty nice! So did you have haggis neaps n tatties, thats what they normally do, its cabbage (orange one) and mashed potatoes. Actually haggis isnt too bad, at least I thought so. Hope the car trouble is gone, drop me a line when youre in germany or switzerland ill see if I can hop over have dinner with you guys. Oh and do post pics of the Isle of Skye - never been there and it supposed to be amazing. Tell your mom I said hi too pls!

Brownie said...

Hey Bob! Yeah, I think that Velvet is my favorite beer. I did have Haggis neaps n tatties. That is the best combination and I have to have a beer with the haggis, it compliments it VERY well. I don't believe I have your phone number with me. Email me the number at dfonza@cox.net
Good talkin' to ya and Skye has some beautiful parts, but not much to do here, especially when it is always raining.

-Dan

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.